it turns out i was more than cat lady enough to make this skirt!
1. get some kind of knee-length or longish black skirt. i bought a $2 knee-length pencil skirt from goodwill to use as the base, so it’s not quite the same cut (in this pic the back of the skirt sticks out where the original skirt had a pleated back detail that i kept).
2. cut a couple inches off the bottom of your skirt so it hits your desired length (with an extra inch to accommodate your hem) and you have a decent chunk of extra fabric. i cut about 4” off the bottom and made 4” tall ears.
3. cut 4 ears out of extra fabric. mine are triangles with about an inch rectangle at the bottom so they’ll fold up over themselves and not look awkward.
4. do something to make the ears stiff so they’ll stand up! stitch some boning or iron some super strength interfacing onto what will the the back side of each ear (the side closest to your body). i forgot to do this and had to add some boning once i’d already sewn the ears to the waistline, which looks messy but no one can see it when it’s worn.
4. place two ears right sides together, sew along three sides, turn, press, press the last hem in, stitch over it. repeat for other ear. optionally, topstitch about 1/4” in from the edge to create an inner ear shape. i forgot to do this.
5. sew ears along waistband seam, with the points down toward the hem. i placed mine each 4” from the side seams.
6. iron the points up and slip stitch them to the waistband to make them stay up!
7. use a weak basting glue to place the eyes and whiskers (white buttons and grosgrain ribbon), then carefully stitch them on. i would suggest gluing/pinning the eyes and whiskers and trying the skirt on before sewing, to make sure everything falls how you want it to. i didn’t do this and i think the face ended up a little lower than i’d like.
8. hem skirt and lining.
done! took me about an hour, all told. i used this as a de-stressing project to distract me from the hell of finishing my gold new years dress. i kind of want to get a couple other pencil skirts in different colors and make a set of these, haha.